Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving! and more

well, today is Thanksgiving
probably the first that I have ever been away from home and family
given that it is one of my favorite holidays, i am sad to be away however I will be eating two thanksgiving meals--one with the bball team and one with my group from the states and our host families!
but nothing compares to grandmas mashed potatoes!!!
in fact, I am the one who signed up to make the potatoes..
They are my favorite food so I hope I do them justice!

This past weekend I went back to Orizaba (where I spent one month last summer) with my old host sister. We stayed at my old home and saw many friends. Ate Don Filipe hot dogs...played with my little cousin...and impressed them all with my improvements in spanish. It was great to go back and re-live my experience. I hope to go back soon!!

Soon in my class on relations between the us and mexico, we are going to have an internet chat with a class of students from georgia, usa. Yesterday, the teacher from that school came here to talk with us. From his questions of the other students I found out that all except for maybe one of the students in my class has at least one relative that has traveled or is in the US without papers. aunts, uncles, and even one brother
I was very surprised given that they are all from the middle class, and I had a preconceived notion that the only illegal immigrants entering were from the lower class or workers in small towns elsewhere. It seems like everyone is affected by immigration. There stories were impactful--some more draumatic than others, but all very interesting.

Lastly, I want to give thanks for family and friends---you all. I have a wonderful support network back in the states and I am very greatful. I am also thankful that I have found friendship and family here in Mexico. AND for this wonderful amazing experience.

See you soon!

2 comments:

Faith said...

We missed you on Thanksgiving! I must say the mashed potatoes were delicious as always and made me think of you. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun- I can't wait to hear your stories over Christmas break!

Eli & Betty Smucker said...

Yes of course, the mashed potatoes made by Sharon and the stuffing made by Kay were over the top. We missed you but look forward to time with you later this month. Love, Betty